Sunday, April 19, 2015

APRIL'S CRAFTY GOODNESS

A few weeks ago I put a call out on fb wanting to buy a knitting machine and of course I didn't think I would get one locally but what do you know?  A lovely couple had one sitting in their shed and said I could have it for $40.  I jumped at the chance and became the proud owner of a Singer 329 in very good condition.  I purchased an online manual and found I needed a couple of inexpensive parts that were quickly ordered on Ebay and now I think I'm ready to tackle the beast, there is so much to learn I swear you need an engineering degree to understand everything in this manual.


At work I got another bargain, an electric yarn winder for $29, so happy with that price I can tell you as I know what they sell for online.

Last night I re-wound a couple of balls of yarn so they have a centre pull (apparently that's important for the knitting machine) and I'm all ready to go, well hopefully tomorrow.


Today I was a little pre-occupied with salvaging an old redgum sleeper and turning it into an essential oil board.  I love this earthy idea and of course once I had the idea, I needed to act right away.



While I love my new board, I still need to oil it more to bring out the red in the timber, another job for another day I think.

At 6am this morning I was up and sewing.  These cotton rope baskets have been on my to do list and I was itching to make some up.


Oh my, I love how they turned out and it looks like there might be lots of baskets as gifts this year because I can't seem to get enough of the meditative hum as I stitch round and round forming these lovelies.


These handles are so sweet.

I had a little play with colour but I'm not sold on what I've done.


This little one is perfect for my precious stones.


What a productive and happy day I've had.  Tomorrow, not so great as our gravity fed hot water system has just blown again.  That means emptying everything out of our laundry and big storage cupboard, changing the element in the system with water pouring out everywhere, then cleaning it all up and putting everything back.  We go through this every 3 years or so, so we know the drill quite well.  One day we will have a new evaporative tube solar system but until we save enough we put up with this one.

1 comment:

  1. Those are great looking baskets. I will have to catch up soo and learn how you make them.
    Looking forward to seeing what you make with the knitting machine also, I have seen some wonderful stuff that other people have knitted with them.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I love reading your comments and if I don't reply to all of them, please know I appreciate every one.
Have a lovely day :)